Below are 12 questions that you’ll find very helpful when you need to make an important decision and you need wisdom, and discernment.
First, pray and ask God for His guiding wisdom. The Bible says in James 1:5, “If any of you lacks wisdom, he should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to him.”
And then ask yourself the following questions with a heart open to receive the discernment you have asked for:
1. The MISSION question: Does this decision support my life mission?
2. The VISION question: Will this decision move me toward a life goal or toward solving a problem?
3. The INTEGRITY question: Will this decision affect any commitment or vow I have made?
4. God’s REVEALED WORD question: Does the Bible speak to this decision or a potential consequence?
5. The COMMON SENSE question: Do the results of this decision make sense?
6. OTHERS FIRST question: How will others be affected by this decision?
7. The LEGAL question: Is it legal?
8. The COST question: What will this decision cost me?
9. The MOTIVE question: What do I get out of this decision?
10. The TIMING question: Is this the best time to make this decision?
11. The KNOWLEDGE question: Do I have enough information to make this decision?
12. The COMMITMENT question: Do I plan to commit to my decision?
The above questions were first presented on the Parent Talk-On Call radio program. Parent Talk is now called INTENTIONAL LIVING and is a nationally syndicated program heard on over 100 Christian radio stations. To see other resources written by Dr. Carlson or to learn more about the ministry, visit their web site at Theintentionallife.com. If INTENTIONAL LIVING is not heard in your area you can listen to the program on-line at the same web address.
Filed under: Communication Tools