This is an optional tool for mentoring couples to use with the married couples you meet with. You can use it as it is, or adapt it by adding or subtracting questions.
In addition, there is a linked marriage mentoring discussion guide available below these questions that you can use in whatever way it will work for you.
We pray this is helpful!
Marriage Mentoring Questions
The following are questions you can ask:
- What do you consider to be the role of the husband in your marriage?
- What do you consider to be the role of the wife in your marriage?
- On a scale of 1-10 how would you rate your satisfaction in your marriage? (1 = you’re not satisfied at all, and 10 = you’re delighted with how things are going.)
- Share what you see as the top 3 strengths in your marriage?
- What three things would you most like to change about yourself as a spouse? Why?
- What do you see as the specific needs you have as a married couple?
- In your married life, what are the greatest challenges you’ve experienced?
- Do you spend time building your relationship together by dating each other each week? If not, why not?
- Do you spend planning time together weekly discussing family matters, unresolved issues, scheduled events, budgeting, household and yard tasks, blessings, and other concerns? If not, would you like help with that?
- Are you satisfied with the ways in which you and your spouse resolve conflicts? Do you think you’re able to resolve them in a healthy, respectful manner? If not, what seems to be the problem?
- Are you as close to God as a couple as you’d like? If not, what’s holding you back?
- Share some goals you have together? What do you think God wants to do through you as a married couple that He may not have done through you as individuals?
- What kind of a marriage do you want to build?
- How do you picture your marriage in 10 years, (ideally)?
- What makes you feel “loved, honored, and cherished” by your spouse?
- How would you describe your relationship with each of your family members when you were growing up?
- What is your relationship like with them now?
- Do you think your relationship with family members brings stress to your marriage? If so, how?
- What is your relationship like with your In-laws?
- Are there relational bridges you need or want to build or rebuild with your families? If so, what are they?
- Are there any marriage issues, in which you would like to gain insights on today?
Cindy Wright of Marriage Missions International wrote these questions.
– ALSO –
The following link will take you to even more questions you can consider asking: